Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Well, well, well....

And so it ends....

My marathon plans are off.  Not really in the mood to discuss.

On a good note, I did run in the Times Colonist 10k Race on April 27th, and totally amazed myself.  In December, when I registered and was on a steady training regimen, I put myself into the 60-69 minute class.  With the events of the past few months, I allowed myself some leeway in that time and went into race day with a goal of finishing in under 90 minutes....because I know that I can walk 10k in that time if I really try.  I wasn't sure how my ankle would feel, as I had been holding off on too much training because it really seems to aggravate it.  I was pumped and felt the adrenaline start pumping as we all mingled like cattle in the stocks....

And the race started....and lo and behold, I was passing people!  I felt great.  I've never felt that good running.  I had planned on taking as many walking breaks as I needed, or rather, planned on running when I could....but it was necessary at all...I took a few breaks but only managed to walk about 100m through the whole race, because whenever I would stop running, my legs would just walk really fast, which would lead me to run again.  It was almost an involuntary response.  It felt amazing.  The farther I ran, the prouder I was of myself.  I listened to some of my favorite local bands/musicians while I ran...Started out with The Lion, The Bear, The Fox...was brought to tears during Home (Thanks guys!), luckily I was sweating enough that I don't think anyone noticed.  There was some Vince Vaccaro in the middle, and at the end my good friend Jason Lowe helped me cross the finish line...Snow on the Cimmarrons was playing.

Of course upon crossing the finish line, you don't actually know your time...you only see the time from when the whole race started...which was 22 minutes before I crossed the start line.  They do a wave start, so everyone is staggered to ease congestion and help separate faster runners from slower ones.  It wasn't until I got on my phone to check facebook that I found out my time.  I finished the race in 1:08:54.....totally killed my goal and finished strong.  I treated myself to a 15 minute post-race massage and then biked to my sister's house to hang out for the rest of the day.  I managed to eat lunch, and then promptly passed out on the couch for a couple of hours.

The next day wasn't as bad as I expected either.  My quads were tight so climbing the ladder all day at worked really sucked, but otherwise I was fine.  I could still ride my bike and survived quite well.

And so, my running glory is on hold.  But if I never run another race in my life, I know I can always be proud for what I've already accomplsihed.

I've got a lot of people to thank for their support....and you know who you are.  THANK YOU.



No comments:

Post a Comment