Monday, January 6, 2014

A Little Under The Weather

Went to bed late, woke up early feeling like absolute death.  Managed to make it to work, and stay there for six hours before I headed home for some rest.  I've managed to keep lunch down, which was a bowl of soup, and dinner was ok since it consisted of a handful of crackers.  Lots of water, and some electrolyte tabs (cuz every runner should have them) and I'm sure I'll survive.

Needless to say, today was a day off from training.  When I woke up about an hour ago I decided I should actually write out my training plan on the calendar, so that I can stay on track.  To my surprise and delight, my official training doesn't start for another two weeks!!  Yay for freedom!  I say that, but I know that I'll be out there training just as much as I already have.  It really is an addiction.  The hard part for me will be sticking to the training schedule, which starts off with timed runs, as opposed to distance runs, and includes two days of complete rest, and one day of cross-training each week.  We'll see how I do on those rest days.  Luckily, the rest days fall on Mondays and Fridays, both of which tend to be my most dreaded days of the week, so I will probably learn to enjoy them.  And if I don't, there really isn't any harm in a short little run down to the ocean.

Kori is doing well in his recovery, not to say that it is going to be a quick process at all, but he is already doing more than we thought was possible at this stage in the game.  Mary has gone back to Nanaimo to spend a few days with her boy there.  Should be good for her spirit to get some rest and be away from the hospital for a bit.  I had the pleasure of spending Mary's birthday with her last weekend, and it was a nice day out.  We went for sushi lunch, and then went thrift store shopping (sadly Macklemore was not present)...She is a gem for sure.  Such a strong spirited woman.

Since moving to Victoria, I've become a huge fan of House Concerts...small intimate, often acoustic sessions with some really awesome artists, hosted by my friends', Andy and Keith.  I've seen John Mann, Vince Vaccaro, Steph MacPherson, Sit Down Servant, Shawn Verreault, Jason Lowe and The Lion, The Bear, The Fox, the band which features my new pal Ryan McMahon.  I am lucky enough to have a comfortable enough living room that I have invited Ryan to play a small show at my place in February.  Very excited about this opportunity.  The shows I've attended are usually between 40-75 people, so it will be very different with only 20 people at my show.  Preparations are well underway for the night, and I have to give thanks to Ryan for being willing to play, and to Keith Encinas of South Island House Concerts, for his help and support in planning.

I've actually got a weekend of house concerts coming up on the 17th and 18th of this month...the first is at Andy's featuring Jason Lowe, who I met a few months ago and am in constant awe of his talent and amazing spirit.  The other will be out at Keith's place, featuring Scotty Hills, a fantastic Island artist.

If you want to hear some good new music check these boys out....

www.jasonlowemusic.com
www.scottyhills.com
www.vincevaccaro.com
www.ryanmcmahon.com
www.thelionthebearthefox.com


And with that, I bid you good night, and happy listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment