Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Runner's High??

We've all heard about it....the mythical Runner's High.  Is it real??  I'd like to think so.  Today, I'm not feeling that high.  Despite running longer and farther than I have in a long time, my body did not enjoy this run.  4.52 miles almost killed me tonight.  Since I started using my Nike+ app I've accumulated over 30 miles of running...I forgot to turn the app on one day, so my official total is at 26.93 miles.  I'm not gonna lie, I've enjoyed every mile of it, until today.

Being sick yesterday really took the wind out of my sails.  Slowed me down a lot, and my breathing is super wheezy tonight.  Chest feels ultra heavy, which probably isn't a good sign.  Might be time to take a day or two off and let my body catch up on rest.  Yeah, I know, that was a funny thought.  Take time off from training, as if.

I want to feel that Runner's High again, as I so often do...even when I come home totally exhausted from a run, I feel good and know that I deserve that nice hot bubble bath that follows most runs.  Every once in awhile I force myself into an ice water bath, as it really does help keep any troublesome inflammation down.

Why do I run??  Running gives me a sense on control, in a world where we have so little control over anything.  The thoughts running through my head while I run vary everyday, but at least half of them are "If I turn left here I could cut a few blocks off my run and be home sooner"...to which I reply "Not a chance dummy, you came out to run, so run."  Yes, I do realize that I talk to myself while I run.  I also decide what to have for dinner, and what to wear to work the next day.  It's a fairly productive time, while not doing anything but running.  Running puts me into a different head space, where nothing seems as bad as it did while I was sitting on the couch, it gives me the freedom to just escape if I need to.  I can't tell you how many miles I've run without realizing they were going by...because my mind just wanders.

I look forward to my run everyday, and while it isn't my only activity of the day (I bike 4km to and from work everyday) it is by far my favorite.  Knowing that my own strength and willpower is enough to keep me going is a great feeling.

And now it's time for food!!

No comments:

Post a Comment